MESSAGE COMMUNITY COUNCIL HISTORY PROJECTS ENTERPRISES ANNOUNCEMENTS GENERAL CONTACT US
 
Churches

Church of John the precursor
The main church of the village, which is dedicated to John the precursor, is built in the center of the village, between the traditional houses of the community.The first old church was wooden roofed, not well maintained, was a building of 13th century and it was built exactly where the current church is today.The residents of the village decided to break it down. In 1935 they built the current church in a type of Royal with dome. The building externally was made of stone and a big jaunty belfry is brought forth from the west side of the temple having in the inside of it two big bells. It is a relatively big church and it can take in about 300 people.The precinct of the church is quite big and paved. Internally the temple has unique pictures in terms of their manufacture .They were painted on a ‘kannabitsa’ (kind of bag) and later on they were carefully put on the wall. This happened so the hagiographies would be protected from humidity that was probably caused on the wall. In the big dome there is a showing of the Almighty ,above the sanctuary ,the Virgin Mary the ‘Platytera’ and the showings of the four Evangelists Louka,Matheos,John and Marcos.

The loft could not be absent in such a big temple.The big and convenient loft of the church of John the Precursor makes people be comfortable to enjoy their congregation and to watch the priest with humbling and praying.

In this church there is something that distinguishes it from the other churches .The small ecclesiastic museum. The remainders of the old church have been transferred to the new. On the west entry of the new church there is the so called ‘econofilakio’ (box for icons to be saved).It is the small ecclesiastic museum inside the church, framed by transparent glass windows. The old iconostasis of 13th century well maintained is saved there, the holy vessels ,the holy canonicals of the priests ,the old covers of the holy vessels ,the old and valuable ecclesiastic books which are dated between the 8th and 13th century. They are there, so tradition could be observed showing the ancient and valuable ecclesiastic objects.

The old icon dedicated to John the Precursor is dated from the 13th century .It is situated in a special icon stand in the center of the church.
John the Precursor is celebrated in the community of Prodromos (precursor).He is celebrated on the 29th August with a masterful ceremony because they have the honor of the great archbishop from the metropolis of Morfou.

 

 

 


Chapel of saint Onoufrios
Around 14th century the chapel of saint Onoufrios was built.From information we have, it seems that the chapel suffered enough damages from a fire .This was proved by the burnt pictures in the iconostasis. Then the exarch and brother of Macarios B ,looked after the demolition of the temple and the rebuilding of a school.Untill today the primary school still exists and be there well maintained. It is built towards the exit, on the west side of the village. Today as an honor to saint Onoufrios a special shrine has been erected with the icon of Saint Onoufrios in front of the school yard. The dedicated icon of saint Onoufrios from 13th century is saved in the small museum (vessel case) in the main church of John the Precursor. The celebration and the holy service of the 12th June which is the celebration day of Saint Onoufrios, takes place outdoor on the school yard. The community predicts a reconstruction of a new chapel dedicated to Saint Onoufrios.

 

 

Chapel of Agias Triadas
Just a little out of the Prodromos community, to the west and to a direction of the Paliomylos village, in a woodland area, the chapel of Agias Triadas is built since 1931.
The small chapel is in the space of the cemetery. It is made of stone and white on the outside. It is a monoklyte construction type with wooden roof and covered with tiles. The chapel does not have a belfry. In the middle of the cemetery there is a very big pine tree. On this pine tree the belfry of the chapel is going to be put as a donation from a resident.A small and plain chapel that can only take in 50 people. Internally the chapel is flat and has few seats .The iconostasis is woodcut and it is framed with six big old pictures of the saints and twelve small ones above the Saint Apostles, the so called ‘dodekaorto’.The dedicated icon of Agias Triados(Saint Triad),a construction of 1931 is kept in the iconostasis of the temple.
It functions once a year. Every Monday of the Holy Spirit (cataclysm) the residents of the community of Prodromos are gathered together and there is a festive officiation and a carrying about in procession of the icon of Agias Triadas.

Monastery of Virgin Mary Trikoukias
It is situated two kilometers from Prodromos towards Platres in a marvelous natural environment with a spectacular view.
Externally the church is made of stone; the roof is of wood construction and covered by tiles. Architectonically the internal of the church is ‘trikliti’.The monastery which is constituted by five old cells which are on the right side of the church are saved until today and take in seven nannies and two other novices. Another transept has been built and completed with more 15 cells. The monastery Trikoukias is under the protection and support of the Ancient department.

It is said that the name comes from Trikoukies (medlar trees that had three kernels).Another version says that is from the tree Kokkonia according to which the closest monastery of Kykkos was named by that too. Another tradition mentions that the monastery was supported during Turkish domination with the one third (trikoutsi) of the taxation of the Kouklia manors.

 

 

Its history, the same with the other monasteries, is not known although most of the historians locate its foundation in the Byzantine years .The monastery had met glorious days especially in the years of Frankish domination while Virgin Mary of the monastery the Trikoukiotissa was considered to be miraculous, and her picturialisation is attributed to Apostle Louka9many others too).The reputation of the monastery and its icon started to be limited when the fame of Virgin Mary of Kykkos increased. The Turkish respected the monastery and did not destroy it, just because it’s great reputation

In 1761 the monastery was renovated and kept functioning until the end of the 18th century when it was broken down.

Virgin Mary of Trikoukias is celebrated in the area on Tuesday of Diakenisimou as well as on the 15th August with her icon to be carried in litany.

 

Agios Nektarios


 

Father Andreas Athanasi
Tel.: 99350779